The Reason Pill Bottles Are Orange—and It’s Not Just a Pharmacy Tradition
I’ll never forget the first time I picked up a prescription as an adult. There I was at the pharmacy counter, feeling a little proud of myself for finally handling something so wonderfully “grown-up.”
Then the pharmacist handed me the medication, and I remember noticing the bright orange bottle.
At the time, I didn’t give it much thought. But years later, every time I opened the medicine cabinet and saw that familiar collection of orange prescription bottles, the same question kept coming back to me:
Why are pill bottles orange?
You’d think I would have looked it up sooner, but it wasn’t until I was reorganizing my medicine cabinet that I finally did some digging.
And it turns out, that distinctive orange color has a very practical purpose. It isn't simply a pharmacy tradition or a way to make prescription bottles recognizable.
It has a lot to do with protecting medication from light.
So, Why Are Pill Bottles Orange?
The short answer is light protection.
Many medications can be affected by exposure to light over time. According to the explanation behind the traditional orange prescription bottle, the colored plastic helps filter out harmful UV rays that can contribute to chemical changes in certain medications.
In other words, the orange bottle isn't just sitting there looking cheerful in your medicine cabinet.
It's doing a job.
The colored plastic provides a barrier between the medication and light while still allowing you to see through the bottle to some degree. That makes the bottle practical for everyday use while offering protection for medications that may be sensitive to light.
And honestly, I love discovering little everyday design choices like this. Something that seems completely ordinary suddenly makes perfect sense once you know the reason behind it.
Why Not Use a Different Color?
This is where things get even more interesting.
If the goal is to protect medication from light, why settle on orange? Why not black, dark blue, or another color?
The appeal of the classic orange bottle comes down to finding a balance between light protection and visibility.
A completely opaque or very dark container could block more light, but it would also make it difficult to see what's inside. With the traditional orange-colored plastic, you can still get a general idea of how many tablets or capsules remain without opening the bottle.
Clear plastic would provide excellent visibility, of course—but it wouldn't offer the same level of protection from light.
So the familiar orange color represents a practical middle ground.
And you've probably seen similar choices outside the prescription aisle, too. Some eye drops and liquid medications are packaged in brown or amber-colored containers because those darker shades can also help limit exposure to light.
Is It Just About UV Protection?

