The Promise He Kept From Me

The Promise He Kept From Me

I thought I knew every important part of my husband’s life.

After three years of marriage, I thought we had already shared the kind of secrets that mattered. Then I became pregnant with the baby we had always dreamed about, and for a while, it felt as though our little family was finally becoming complete.

We had six beautiful months to dream about the future.

Then Mark found out he was seriously ill.

The doctors told him he had no more than three months to live.

Suddenly, the future we had been planning became something neither of us could take for granted.

And before he died, Mark made me a promise—or perhaps it was a promise he made to someone else.

I wouldn't understand what it meant until after he was gone.

The Conversation on the Porch

One evening, Mark sat beside me on our porch with one hand resting gently on my pregnant belly.

Our daughter was moving beneath his palm.

He looked at me and quietly told me that he wanted to become an organ donor.

“If my organs are still healthy enough when the time comes, I want them donated.”

I didn't want to hear him talk about dying.

Not while our daughter was kicking.

“Please don't talk about dying while she's kicking,” I whispered.

But Mark looked at my stomach and answered,

“That's exactly why I have to.”

Then he explained what he was thinking.

If he couldn't live long enough to watch our daughter grow up, perhaps something he left behind could give someone else more time with the people they loved.

It was painful to hear.

But it was also unmistakably Mark.

Even when he was facing the end of his own life, he was thinking about what he could still give someone else.

His Health Declined Faster Than We Expected

Mark became weaker much sooner than either of us expected.

By my eighth month of pregnancy, ordinary things had become difficult for him.

I helped him button his shirts.

Sometimes he had to stop halfway to the bathroom just to catch his breath.

There were moments when I wanted to believe that somehow things would turn around.

But Mark knew his time was running short.

And then something changed.

A few weeks before he died, he began asking to speak with his doctor privately.

At first, I didn't think much of it.

People facing serious illness have conversations with their doctors that can be difficult for family members to hear.

But when I asked Mark what they had discussed, he simply squeezed my hand.

“There’s something I need to arrange,” he told me.

“Please trust me.”