I Thought This Was a Worm in My Yard—Then I Saw Its Strange Hammer-Shaped Head

At first, I thought it was just a worm.


There was some damp soil, a little grass nearby, and a long, dark creature slowly making its way across the ground. Nothing about the scene seemed particularly unusual.


Until I looked closer.


It wasn't moving like an ordinary earthworm.


Instead of wriggling through the soil, the creature seemed to glide across the surface. Its body was long and flattened, and then I noticed the strangest feature of all.


Its head.


It looked broad and almost shovel-shaped.


That's when I stopped walking and started watching.


I had no idea what I was looking at.


After taking a photograph and doing some research, I discovered that the mysterious creature was most likely a hammerhead worm, a type of terrestrial flatworm.


And once I learned what these unusual predators actually eat, I understood why it looked so different from the earthworms I was used to seeing.


So, What Exactly Is a Hammerhead Worm?


Despite its name, a hammerhead worm isn't an earthworm at all.


It's a type of land planarian, or terrestrial flatworm.


Several species are commonly called hammerhead worms because of the distinctive shape of their heads. Depending on the species, that widened head can resemble a tiny shovel, fan, crescent, or hammer.


That unusual shape is one of the first clues that you've found something very different from a typical garden earthworm.


Unlike segmented earthworms, land planarians have flattened, unsegmented bodies and move by gliding across surfaces.


Once you know what to look for, their movement becomes another major clue.


The Strange Head Is the Biggest Clue


If you've never encountered one before, the head can be startling.


An earthworm has a relatively narrow, rounded front end. A hammerhead worm can look dramatically different, with a broad structure extending outward from the front of its body.


Depending on the species, it may look almost like:


A tiny shovel

A hammer

A fan

A crescent

A flattened triangle


The common name comes from this unusual shape.


But the head isn't just an interesting visual feature.


Land planarians have sensory structures that help them interact with their surroundings and locate potential prey. They can respond to chemical cues in their environment, which helps them navigate toward food.


So that slow, deliberate movement across damp ground may be more purposeful than it initially appears.


Why Was It Gliding Instead of Wriggling?


This was probably the biggest clue that I had misidentified the creature.


Earthworms and land planarians have very different bodies and locomotion.


Earthworms are segmented annelids. Their movement involves coordinated contractions and extensions of their bodies, along with structures that help them grip the surface.


Land planarians move differently.


They have a specialized underside called a creeping sole, which allows them to glide across surfaces. A layer of mucus helps facilitate this movement.


The result can look surprisingly smooth.