The Purpose of Small Hallway Sinks


You know those old homes with floors so uneven they seem ready to swallow your keys if you drop them? You are walking through a dimly lit hallway, feeling a mysterious draft from who knows where, and then suddenly, there it is. A tiny sink, neatly installed in the hallway, far from any bathroom or logical plumbing location. The first time I encountered one, I thought it was incredibly strange. Who puts a sink there? It almost seemed as though the fixture had been banished to the hallway because the bathroom was too full.
I recently came across a photograph of one of these hallway sinks on social media, and the speculation in the comments was priceless. One person suggested it was a foot washer, another guessed it was a fancy spittoon, and some assumed it was simply a plumbing mistake that no one bothered to fix. However, it was not a mistake. That awkward little sink actually served a very real and practical purpose. Once I dug into the history, I discovered it was actually quite clever.

A Time Before Convenience