When Lily turned thirteen, a quiet wall began to build between us. She retreated into her room, keeping her door closed and her thoughts to herself. She stopped sharing the details of her day, and I made the classic parental mistake of dismissing it as typical teenage behavior. I told myself she was just growing up. I was entirely wrong. She was not pulling away from me. She was mourning the parents she had lost in a tragic crash, grieving for the life that was stolen from her, and carrying the weight of a family that no longer existed. I failed to see it because I was blinded by the demands of my job, consumed by the need to provide, and entirely focused on being the father I thought she needed.
Everything shifted when I met Sophie. She entered our lives when Lily was fifteen, bringing a gentle patience and a deep respect for our family boundaries. Sophie never attempted to erase the memory of the mother Lily had lost, nor did she push for a closeness that had not yet been earned. Yet, her observant nature caught the subtle shifts I had missed. One evening, she gently pointed out that Lily was carrying a heavy secret. I dismissed her concerns, attributing the secrecy to typical teenage privacy. But Sophie was determined to understand, and while helping Lily reorganize her bedroom, she discovered a box hidden beneath the bed, carefully wrapped in an old sweater.

