Mindful Dining: A Gentle Guide to 6 Fish You Should Steer Clear of at a Restaurant (And What to Choose Instead)


Let me share the moment I truly began to consider the origins of our food. I was in my late twenties, helping organize a large church potluck, and as I surveyed the donated dishes, I realized how little I knew about where our meals came from. Now, at eighty seven, having lived independently for the past eight years, I deeply value the small, everyday choices that maintain my wellbeing and honor the world around me. As a vegetarian who has spent decades making mindful, resourceful decisions about my diet, though I will always hold a nostalgic fondness for my grandmother’s simple egg salad, I have learned that being a compassionate eater is about stewardship, health, and ethics. When dining out, not all seafood is created equal. If you have ever stared at a restaurant menu feeling uncertain, take a slow, deep breath. Let us explore the fish you might want to avoid and the sustainable alternatives you can choose instead.

The ocean is a vast and beautiful resource, but it is not infinite. The methods used to catch or farm fish profoundly impact marine ecosystems, the health of the fish, and ultimately, the health of the person eating it. By becoming a mindful diner, you are practicing a quiet form of stewardship, voting with your fork for cleaner waters and healthier ecosystems.

Let us begin with tilapia. Often touted as a mild and affordable option, this fish is frequently raised in overcrowded and unsanitary farm conditions. Because it is a bottom feeder, its diet can include unappetizing organic waste, and it is often treated with antibiotics to survive such environments. A much gentler alternative is to opt for sustainably farmed Arctic char or wild caught flounder, which are raised under much stricter environmental standards.

Next is Atlantic cod. Decades of heavy commercial fishing have taken a severe toll on its populations. ...