I was in my late thirties when I finally reached my breaking point with laundry day. Every time I opened the washing machine, I was greeted by a massive tangled knot of clothing. The fabrics were twisted together, heavily wrinkled, and nearly impossible to separate without pulling and stretching them. I assumed this was just an unavoidable reality of doing laundry. Then a friend shared a surprisingly simple trick that completely changed my routine. She told me to toss an empty plastic bottle into the drum before starting the wash.
UNDERSTANDING THE PROBLEM
To appreciate this hack, it helps to understand why clothes tangle in the first place. During the wash cycle, the agitation causes garments to twist and knot together. This tangling does more than just create stubborn wrinkles that require extra ironing. It also places unnecessary stress on the fabric fibers, which can lead to premature wear and tear. Furthermore, when clothes are wrapped tightly around each other, water and detergent cannot circulate properly, resulting in a less effective clean. Untangling this mess after every load is a frustrating and time consuming chore.

